Dynamic form enables to build highly flexible and dynamic experiences for end your users by configuring record detail fields and sections inside the Lightning App Builder. This article describes how to convert lightning Page to dynamic form.
How Dynamic forms differ from Page Layouts?
Salesforce supports different page layouts for a single object. So the record detail page view of an object is not same for all the users. There may be 100+ fileds for a record detail page, making the customization of fields quite difficult. Dynamic form can be considered as an upgradation to the page layout feature. Let’s dive into the specialities of dynamic forms.
- With dynamic forms we can break the Record Detail component into individual field and section components.
- In the lightning app builder we can drag these components to place anywhere on the page. Fields can be moved from one section to another.
- To add more functionality to customize dynamic forms, visibility rules can be set for any field such that the end users only see the fields only when they need to see them.
- Helps to reduce the number of page layouts and record types in use.
Let’s start with dynamic forms,
- Open any record page from the list view of the desired object.
- Go to Set up- Edit Page. This will open the lightning app builder. Here we can migrate the fields and sections as individual components. In a later step, we will see how to add field visibility rules for each user.
- Click ‘Details’ tab and then click on the record details.
- Click on “Upgrade now’ in the properties pane. This will start the Dynamic forms migartion wizard.
- There may be more than one page layout for the object. Select the page layout which contains fields and sections that you want to migrate [Choosing a page layout will save the time and make the job easy. The upgrade wizard takes the fields and sections from that page layout and automatically adds them to your page].
- Click ‘Finish’.
- Click Save.
- Upon saving a dialog box may appear as shown below. If so, there might be some required fields missing in the record detail page. So click Cancel and go back to the page.
How to add fields
- Click on Fields tab in the Component palette.
- Have a close look to find any of the universally required fields is missing in the record detail section.
- Select an insertion point to add the new field.
- Insert the field at the selected place.
- Now the record detail page will show the show the newly added field too.
- Click Save
We can display sections as single column or split it into 2 column. For that Click on the record detail section and choose the number of columns from the Properties pane.
We can customize dynamic forms and can add visibility rules to the fields. We will cover those features in another article.
To read more about dynamic forms, click Break Up Your Record Details with Dynamic Forms (salesforce.com).
For assistance in building in Dynamic forms, Contact Us Now
Take Five Consulting is a technology company, based in Virginia U.S., that specializes in the Mortgage Banking vertical especially LOS implementation and application development. Take Five Consulting creates and implement mortgage technology and software specifically for Mortgage Industry.