Record types determine the business processes, page layouts, and picklist values users have access to. When we create a record for an object, salesforce asks on which type of record to be created. For example, for the contact object in Jungo, the two record types are Client and Business Contact. Client record type are suitable for leads, Borrowers whereas Business Contact record type is used for Realtors, Buying agents and listing agents.
Record type provides the benefit to assign multiple page layouts for different profiles. Each Record type is associated with a page layout.
Below shows the record types of the Contact object in Jungo from which we must choose from when we create a new Contact.
The page layout for the record types will be different as per the nature of the Contact. Below, the first image shows a Client Contact page. We can see so many fields there asking the details such as loan purpose, Purchases initial contact etc. These fields are necessary for a borrower. But they are irrelevant fields in case of a business contact. So these fields can be omitted by assigning a different page layout for all the business contacts like realtors, vendors etc. which is shown in the 2nd image.
How to create a Record type
For creating a record type go to Setup-Object Manager- Select the Object-Record Types-Click on New.
- All the existing record types will be available in the picklist. Give a label and and name to the new record type.
- Select Make Available to give users assigned to this profile the ability to create and clone records of this record type or assign this record type to existing records.
- To make the new record type the default for a profile, select Make Default. Users assigned to this record type can still view and edit records associated with record types not available for their profiles.
- Page layouts control the layout and organization of sections, fields and related lists on object record pages.
- With page layouts, we can customize the record pages by selecting the fields which we should be viewable, and we can make the fields ‘required’ or ‘read only’.
- For editing an existing page layout to add/remove/change fields, select the required page layout.
- The edit page is a drag and drop interface where you can drag the fields out of the palette shown on top of the edit page and drop at the respective sections.
We can add new section on the Detail page and Edit page of a record by choosing ‘Section’ and drop at the position where we want to create a new section.
New Layout can be created for objects based on the requirement and can be assigned to user profiles.
Assign Page Layouts to Profiles or Record Types
We can assign different page layouts to different user profiles. This essentially means, the record page sees by a user of a particular profile will be different from that sees by a user of another profile. Additionally, If the object uses different record types, (say client record type and Business contact type for the Contact object as we discussed above), a combination of the user’s profile and the record type determine which page layout is displayed when a user views records for that object.
To verify that users have the correct access to fields based on the page layout and field-level security,
- Go to Setup
- Enter Field Accessibility in the Quick Find box
- Select Field Accessibility
- From this page, choose a particular object to view and then select whether you want to check access by profiles, record types, or fields.
Read more about assigning record types and page layouts by clicking Assign Record Types and Page Layouts in the Enhanced Profile User Interface (salesforce.com)
Take Five Consulting is a technology company, based in Virginia U.S., that specializes in the Mortgage Banking vertical especially LOS implementation and application development. Take Five Consulting creates and implement mortgage technology and software specifically for Mortgage Industry.