Mail merge is a feature offered by Salesforce to send personalized documents to contacts, leads etc. The content is predefined so as to include the items to be customized by merging corresponding fields in salesforce. Merge fields are used to create dynamic document for each salesforce record to which the email is intended to send.
I. To enable mail merge feature, Go to Set up- User Interface- User Interface- Check off the highlighted boxes.
II. To create and upload a Mail Merge Document:
- Go to Set up
- Type ‘Mail Merge templates’ in the Quick find box
- The CRM already has templates created for Mailing Labels 5160, Envelopes Size 10, and a Pre-Approval Letter. You can also create new documents to be used in the single and mass Mail Merges.
4. Click on the New template button to create a new document (Only system admins can upload a document. Users can prepare the document and send to the admin to upload)
5. Enter the Name of your document.
6. Click the Browse button to find the Word document (Steps to create a new word document is explained in III)
7. Click the Save button.
Now your document is ready to be generated. Go to step IV for generating a single mail merge document for a Contact record.
III. For preparing the Word document with merge fields:
- Type out your document in a Word file using the desired format including the Logo, banner etc. (Type out in block letters, the items which you want the CRM to fill in automatically, so that they will be easily visible. Eg-TODAY’S DATE).
- Now copy the code of the merge fields for those items from the Jungo’s list of Merge fields. (Please find them from the attachment section in case you do not have that available). Do not attempt to type in the fields. Just copy paste from the merge fields list since those fields have some coding behind them for the merging to work).
- Now after doing the required formatting, save it as .doc file.
For further guidance regarding Creating mail merge templates in word document, click Create Mail Merge Templates in Microsoft Word (salesforce.com).
IV. After step II, if you want to generate a single Mail Merge document from a Contact’s record, follow the steps below. This feature is currently only available in Classic. So Switch to Salesforce Classic first.
- Hover over the Activity History link at the top of the page.
- Click on the Mail Merge button.
- Choose the desired Mail Merge template.
- You can check off the Log an Activity box if needed. If you choose to Log an Activity for the mail merge, enter the task information, and optionally create a follow-up task.
- Click the Generate button.
- Salesforce will send you an email that either includes your generated Word document as an attachment or provides a link to it on the Documents tab.
- Click the Save button.
V. To send the document to the Contact, click on Documents- choose the doc file from the list-Click Email document-After filling out the desired fields, send the mail.
Take Five Consulting is a technology company, based in Virginia U.S., that specializes in the Mortgage Banking vertical especially LOS implementation and application development. Take Five Consulting creates and implement mortgage technology and software specifically for Mortgage Industry.