Data sources in any program that can save data in the comma delimited text format (.csv) can be imported into Salesforce. This article discusses how to import data into salesforce using the Data Import Wizard.
Salesforce offers two main methods for importing data.
- Data Import Wizard
- This lets you import data in common standard objects, such as contacts, leads, accounts, as well as data in custom objects.
- It can import up to 50,000 records at a time.
- It provides a simple interface to choose the data source and map the field names in your import file with the field names in Salesforce.
- Data Loader
- This can import up to five million records at a time, of any data type, either from files or a database connection.
- It can be operated either through the user interface or the command line. In the latter case, you need to specify data sources, field mappings, and other parameters via configuration files. This makes it possible to automate the import process, using API calls.
- Data Import Wizard
How to import data using Data import Wizard
Before importing data into salesforce,
- Create the file to be imported.
- Clean up the data to remove duplicates, correct errors and enforce naming conventions. There are several tools in excel which are helpful in cleaning up data like Sort & Filter, VLookup etc. We will cover those tools in another article.
- Cross match the data fields with the appropriate Salesforce fields to which the data is to be mapped. Fine tune the mapping before starting the import. For more details on mapping click Field Mapping for Other Data Sources and Organization Import (salesforce.com)
- Make your org ready to handle the imported data by making any changes in configuration like creating new custom fields, picklists, temporarily deactivate workflow rules etc., if necessary.
Now follow the steps below to import data into salesforce using the Data Import Wizard.
To launch the wizard Go to Set up- Data Import Wizard
- On clicking Launch Wizard, a new window opens where you can import your data.
- Choose the type of records you want to import from the available list of Standard and Custom objects in your org.
- You can Add new records, Update Existing Records, Add new and Update existing records. Choose from these three options based on your requirement.
- Click on Next.
- The next stage is ‘Mapping’. Each column of the imported data will be mapped with the Salesforce fields. If any of the columns are left unmapped, Click on map and choose from the Salesforce fields to map the unmapped data.
- To change mappings that Salesforce performed automatically, click Change to the left of the appropriate field, then choose the Salesforce fields you want to map to and click Map.
- After all the fields are mapped, click on Next.
- Review and start your import.
- You can review the import information on the Review page. If you still have unmapped fields that you want to import, click Previous to return to the previous page and specify your mappings.
- Click Start Import.
- To check import status, go to Setup- Enter “Bulk Data Load Jobs” in the Quick Find box- Select Bulk Data Load Jobs.
- The user who starts the data import receives a status email when the import is completed.
Take Five Consulting is a technology company, based in Virginia U.S., that specializes in the Mortgage Banking vertical especially LOS implementation and application development. Take Five Consulting creates and implement mortgage technology and software specifically for Mortgage Industry.