In Salesforce, we can customize data through standard and custom objects. Objects are containers of data which is to be stored as records in salesforce. But they are more customizable than a database. Considering objects, there are several record types which are common to every business units employing salesforce. The data in these record types are saved into inbuilt standard objects in salesforce. To learn more about custom and standard objects, click Custom and Standard Objects – Mortgage Banking Technology | Origination Strategy Consulting (takefiveconsulting.com). This article discusses about how to create Custom objects and Custom tabs.
For business specific needs, we can create custom objects where you can define the object and the type of info it contains. Consider the case of a real estate agent who want to store the information of the homes that are of sale, pending, sold, in the offer stage and so on. He can create a custom object called ‘Property’ to fulfill that. Then create a custom object tab to give the users access to custom object data and records.He can add custom fields to it later as he can do for any standard object.
Let’s look at how that works.
- Go to Setup-Object manager-Create-Custom object
- For Label, enter the name of your custom object. The Object Name and Record Name fields auto-fill.
- For Plural Label, enter the plural form of your custom object name.
- Check the box for Launch New Custom Tab Wizard after saving the custom object.
- Leave the rest of the values as default and click Save.
How to create custom object
Click Create a Custom Object (salesforce.com) for detailed info on custom objects
Custom Object Tab
When you add a custom tab to an app in Lightning Experience, it appears as an item in the app’s navigation bar and in the App Launcher. Custom object tabs look and function just like standard tabs.
- On the New Custom Object Tab page, the label of the new tab is the same as the plural version of the custom object label.
- Click the Tab Style lookup icon to show the Tab Style Selector. The style sets the icon to display in the UI for the object.
- If a tab style is already in use, a number enclosed in brackets  appears next to the tab style name. Hover over the style name to view the tabs that use the style. Click Hide styles which are used on other tabs to filter this list.
- Click a tab style to select the color scheme and icon for the custom tab.
- Enter a description of the tab, if desired, and click Next.
- Choose the user profiles that you want to have access to the new custom tab.
- Save the tab.
Depending on the visibility settings you selected, you see the tab right away.
To learn more about custom and standard objects, click Custom and Standard Objects – Mortgage Banking Technology | Origination Strategy Consulting (takefiveconsulting.com)
Take Five Consulting is a technology company, based in Virginia U.S., that specializes in the Mortgage Banking vertical especially LOS implementation and application development. Take Five Consulting creates and implement mortgage technology and software specifically for Mortgage Industry.