Data modelling helps us make sense of the data residing within the system. It aids to establish specific relationships between Salesforce objects and fields. So far we have discussed about Standard Objects, Custom objects, some common standard fields and the configuration of custom fields for custom and standard objects. In this article, we will discuss certain features closely related to objects.
- The goal of validation is to prevent incorrect data from being stored in the system
- Salesforce blocks incorrect data from being saved in the fields as part of validation.
- The most basic validation is marking the field as “Required”. This prevent creation of an object if the Required fields are kept blank.
- Validation rules allow to create more complex rules for data integrity.
- Validation Rules are defined as formulas that evaluates to true or false.
- Salesforce blocks insert/edit if formula evaluates to true, and users are shown an error message.
To know more about Validation rules, click Create Validation Rules Unit | Salesforce Trailhead
- Page Layouts control what users see when they open a record.
- It allows to customize the View, Edit and Create screens for an object.
- We can customize related Lists on the Page Layout
- It is possible to create multiple page layouts for single object and assign different page layouts to users with different profiles.
- Compact Layouts allow admins to pick the most important fields for an object.
Object Relationships In Salesforce
- Look up Relationship
- A Lookup relationship involves finding value of a field based on the value in another field in another object.
- It stores the ID of a “parent” record
- Records can exist without a parent and can have their own sharing model
- There are 40 lookup relationship fields allowed per object
- Master-detail Relationship
- The Master Detail relationship is used when we want to control the display of detail records based on the value in the master record.
- Like Look-up relationship, it also stores the ID of a “parent” record.
- But unlike Look up relationships, records cannot exist without a parent
- Sharing and visibility of the records are controlled by parent.
- There are only two Master-detail fields allowed per object.
- When a master field is deleted, the detail will also be deleted.
- Many-to-many Relationship
- Some entities can have more complex relationships between them. Not all relationships are one -to-many.
- A junction object breaks a many-to-many relationship into two one-to-many relationships.
- Master detail field is defined in the junction object.
- Roll up Summary field
- It is the count of all child records or child records matching a specific criteria.
- Roll up summary fields calculate these kinds of aggregate values whenever the child records change.
- Entity Relationship diagram
- The entity relationship diagrams (ERDs) illustrate important relationships between standard Salesforce objects.
- It is a visual representation of the data model.
- The Schema Builder is an interactive Entity Relationship Diagram.
- Salesforce ERDs use crow’s foot notation.
Looking for more information on Data Modelling in Jungo, leave us a message.
Take Five Consulting is a technology company, based in Virginia U.S., that specializes in the Mortgage Banking vertical especially LOS implementation and application development. Take Five Consulting creates and implement mortgage technology and software specifically for Mortgage Industry.