Salesforce offers the feature to create custom buttons and links directly to object and record detail pages in cases where the users frequently need to access other pages in or outside your org. It helps to integrate Salesforce data with external URLs, applications, company’s intranet, or other back-end office systems. In this article, we explain how to Create Custom list button in Salesforce.
What Can Custom Buttons and Links Do?
Custom links can link to an external URL, such as www.google.com, a Visualforce page, or your company’s intranet. Custom buttons can connect users to external applications, such as web pages, and launch custom links.
Types of custom buttons and links to create
List button—Appears on a related list on an object record page.
Detail page link—Appears in the Links section of the record details on an object record page.
Detail page button—Appears in the action menu in the highlights panel of a record page.
Create a Custom List Button
A custom list button is a button that you can add to a related list. When you create a list button for an object, you can add that button to that object’s related list when the related list appears on other objects.
Here in this example, we are adding a custom button to the Contacts related list of the Account object which helps loan officers navigate to Residential mortgage policy updates pdf. Following are the steps involved to accomplish this task.
- Upload the Residential mortgage policy updates pdf in the Files Section.
- Click the Files tab.
- Upload the file and follow along with the rest of these steps.
Click Action dropdown for the file just uploaded and select Share.
- Expand Who Can Access section.
- Copy link of the file from the Public Link Sharing area.
- Click Done
2. Create the Custom list button
- From Setup, click Object Manager, then click Contacts.
- Click Buttons, Links, and Actions, then New Button or Link.
- Name the button Residential Mortgage Policy Updates.
- Select List Button.
- Paste the file URL into the text box.
Because the file is local to your org, use everything after the domain portion of the URL to create the custom link. Using this example, the link points to sfc/p/4w000001M9gN/a/4w000001Tx1n/No5TgEQdua.v1W9CWjLPBgn5kp3BCdt7B057qiNCOXsOXs
3. Adding the Custom button to the Related list section
- Click Object Manager, then click Account.
- Click Page Layouts, then click Account Layout. (Click Page Layouts (salesforce.com) to learn more about Page layouts)
- Scroll all the way down the end of the layout, to the Contacts related list.
- Click the wrench icon to edit it.
- Click the plus icon to expand the Buttons section header.
- Add the Residential mortgage policy updates button to the Selected Buttons list, then click OK.
- Click Save.
- Now click Accounts and select any account.
- Click the Related tab. We can see the new custom button ‘Residential mortgage policy updates’ created on the Contacts related list section.
Take Five Consulting is a technology company, based in Virginia U.S., that specializes in the Mortgage Banking vertical especially LOS implementation and application development. Take Five Consulting creates and implement mortgage technology and software specifically for Mortgage Industry.